The conversation about emotional wellbeing is stronger now than it has ever been. We are all conscious of what wellbeing means to us and our community, but we are still a work in progress when it comes to putting good practices in place.
I came across some research from the New Economics Foundation about the things that we can do which promote wellbeing in our lives, guaranteed. It’s a bold statement, but here are five proven things you can do right now…
- Connect to the people around us – building relationships with people
- Being active in our bodies – looking after our physical health
- Take notice of the world – connecting with nature, seeing beauty in the things that have become normal.
- Learn New Skills – trying something new and challenging ourselves
- Give to others – being generous.
All five are about looking beyond our current situation and seeking to change the place we are currently in. Generosity really rounds this list out.
Generosity is good for whatever ails you because it shifts your focus from you. Instead of being trapped in your own mind, ruminating on your own thoughts and challenges, it pushes you to reach out to someone else who may be in the exact same situation. A generous act of checking in on someone to see how they are going, buying them a coffee, giving some time and attention to them, is an incredible gift…to you.
Give yourself a gift by giving to someone else.